Spare Ribs Using Shio Koji (Recipe – Japanese Cooking)
I'm going to show you how to make delicious spare ribs using shio koji. This dish is special for me because this was the very first dish I made using shio koji. When I made this the first time, I was blown away by the way shio koji made the meat not only super flavorful but also soft and juicy. It made me fall in love with shio koji and the rest is history. I think you will love this dish.
- 350 g spare ribs (Use any kind (pre-sliced, a rack, etc.) you like. )
- 1.5-3 tbs shio koji (About 10-20% of the weight of the spare ribs.)
- Put the ribs and shio koji into a plastic bag.
- Seal the bag and rub shio koji into the meat.
- Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours to a whole day.While the meat rests, enzymes called proteases in shio koji will continuously break down the proteins in the meat into amino acids to create umami. This process will also sever the fibers in the meat (because the fibers are made of protein), making the meat unbelievably soft. Also, as the fibers are being severed, small gaps will open in the meat, allowing for moisture and sugars from shio koji to get in. This will retain moisture and prevent shrinking of the meat during cooking, making the meat super juicy.
- After the meat has rested, preheat the oven to 200 °C.Place the ribs onto a baking tray and bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes depending on the size of your ribs. Shio koji burns very easily, so keep an eye on them during the last few minutes.
- They are done when the surface of the meat is golden brown and there is a little bit of char here and there. Enjoy!
- Shio koji burns very easily, so keep an eye on them during the last few minutes of baking.
- What Is Shio Koji? (The Complete Guide)
- How to Make Shio Koji (Recipe)
- Shio koji products: – If You Are Outside of Japan Shio koji by marukome 200g (7.05 ounce): https://geni.us/8vWX0vj Shio koji by marukome 500g (17.6 ounce): https://geni.us/tIoxH2b – If You Are in Japan Shio koji by marukome 500g (17.6 ounce) x 2: https://geni.us/Kbbw0C As an Amazon Associate, I earn a percentage of what you pay on qualifying purchases.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 765.6kcalCarbohydrates: 18.9gProtein: 39.1gFat: 57.6gSaturated Fat: 18.4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9.7gMonounsaturated Fat: 20.9gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 1851.5mgPotassium: 592.9mgCalcium: 36.8mgIron: 2.2mg