Japanese Curry (Kare) (Recipe – Japanese Cooking)
This is a dish that every Japanese loves and never gets tired of. Rumor has it that Ichiro, a former baseball player, used to eat his wife's curry everyday. It's very delicious and easy to make. So let's get started!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 230 g onion
- 315 g chicken (you can use beef or pork instead)
- 100 g carrot
- 170 g potato
- 600 ml water
- 100 g Japanese curry roux
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp worcetershire sauce (optional)
- Fry sliced onion on low to medium heat until they become translucent.
- Next, add carrot and meat to the pan. I'm using chicken today, but you can use beef or pork as well. Fry them until the meat is cooked on the surface.We will add potatos last so we can avoid cooking them for too long and getting them melted.
- Now let's add some water and we'll let it simmer until the vegetables and the meat are soft.
- Once the vegetables and the meat are cooked nicely and soft, add the potatos and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Then add Japanese curry roux. This is what gives that distinctive flavor and texture of Japanese curry. There are many roux products out there, so pick any you like. We Japanese usually like to mix two or three different kinds for a more complex flavor. I'm using two different kinds of roux today. They will melt easily and thicken the curry in 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring and cook until you get the consistency you like.
- Once you get the consistency you like, check the taste and make final adjustments if needed. Mine needed a little more depth, so I added soysauce and worcetershire sauce. Some people like to also add honey.
- I tasted it again and it was perfect for me. And it's done! Pour it over rice and enjoy!
- Feel free to adjust the ingredient amounts to your taste.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 579.6kcalCarbohydrates: 33.6gProtein: 25.2gFat: 38.7gSaturated Fat: 5.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 12.5gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 78.8mgSodium: 1415.3mgPotassium: 655.6mgFiber: 3.5gSugar: 5.3gVitamin A: 5718.3IUVitamin C: 20.5mgCalcium: 47mgIron: 1.6mg
Hi! I’m a Japanese woman who lives in Tokyo. My passion is cooking and eating food. Read more about me at https://sakurayubi.com/about/